An Immersion Suit Is A Life Saving Appliance Carried Onboard. It Is A Dry, Waterproof Suit That Protects The Wearer From Hypothermia From Immersion From Cold Water, After Abandoning A Sinking Or Capsized Vessel.
What Is The Solas Regulation For The Testing Of Immersion Suit?
To Ensure The Maintenance Of Adequate Strength And Watertightness Of Seems And Closures Of Immersion Suits And Anti-exposure Suits With Age, It Is Recommended That Each Suit Be Subjected To An Air Pressure Test As The Following, At Intervals Not Exceeding Three Years, Or More Frequently For Suits Over Ten Years Of Age.
A Suitable Head Piece, Fitted With A Means To Inject Air Into The Suit, Should Be Inserted Into The Face Orifice Of The Suit And Secured So As To Minimize Leakage Around The Face Seal.a Low-pressure Monitoring Device, Either Integral To The Fitting For Air Injection Or As A Separate Device, Should Also Be Inserted.
If The Suit Is Fitted With Detachable Gloves And/or Boots, The Wrists And/or Cuffs Should Be Sealed By Inserting A Short Lenght Of Suitable Diameter Plastic Pipe And Securing The Gloves And/or Boots With Suitable Wire Ties Or Hose Clamps.the Zipper Should Be Fully Zipped, And Any Face Flap Closed.
The Suit Should Then Be Inflated To A Pressure Fo 0.7 To 1.4 Kpa (0.1 To 0.2 Psi) If An Auxiliary Inflatable Means Of Buoyancy Is Provided, It Should Be Inflated Through The Oral Valve To A Pressure Of 0.7 Kpa (0.1 Psi) Or Until Firm To The Touch.
Each Seam And Closure Of The Suit-and Each Seam, Oral Tube And Attachment Points And Joint Or Valve Of Any Auxiliary Inflatable Means Of Buoyancy Should Then Be Covered With A Soapy Water Solution Containing Enough Soap To Produce Bubbles (if Leakage Is Noted At A Foot Valve To The Extent That Air Pressure Cannot Be Maintained, The Valves Should Be Sealed For The Test).
If Leaks Are Revealed By The Propagation Of Bubbles At Seams Or Closures, The Leaking Areas Should Be Marked And, After Cleaning The Suit Thoroughly With Fresh Water And Drying It, Repaired In Accordance With The Suit Manufacturer’s Recommendations. The Air Pressure Test May Be Carried Out On Board Ship If Suitable Equipment Is Available. This Test Do Not Adequately Address Deterioration Of Seems And Closures (zippers, Etc.) Which May Not Be Readily Apparent By Visual Inspection. Such Deterioration Can Be Detected By Pressurization Of The Suit With Air, And Testing Of The Seams And Closures For Leaks With A Soapy Water Solution.
- All Cargo Vessels Should Now Carry One immersion Suit For Every Person Onboard (as Indicated In The Record E Of The Cargo Ship Safety Equipment Certificate)
- Additional Immersion Suits May Be Required At Remotely Located Watch Or Work Stations, Depending On The Design Of The Vessel And Flag State.
- Vessels Trading Solely In Tropical Waters May Be Exempted By Flag State. No Exemption Is Granted To The Bulk Carriers.
What Are The Maintenance To Be Carried Out For Immersion Suit?
When Carrying Out The Inspection Of Immersion Suits And Anti-exposure Suits Required By Solas Regulation Iii/20.7,the Following Procedure Is Recommended:
1. Check Closures On Storage Bag As Well As General Condition Of Bag For Ease Of Removal Of Suit. Ensure Donning Instructions Are Legible. Confirm That Suit Is The Type And Size Identified On The Bag.
2. Lay The Suit On A Clean, Flat Surface. Make Sure The Suit Is Dry Inside And Out. Visually Check For Damage. Rips, Tears Or Punctures Should Be Repaired In Accordance With Manufacturer’s Instructions By A Suitable Repair Station (one Authorized By The Manufacturer And/or Acceptable To The Administration).
3. Check The Zipper By Sliding It Up And Down To Check For Ease Of Operation, Using Lubricant Recommended By The Manufacturer, Lubricate The Front And Back Of The Zipper And The Slide Fastener.if The Zipper Is Not Functional,the Suit Should Be Removed From Service And Discarded Or Returned To The Manufacturer Or A Suitable Repair Station.
4. If Fitted, Check Inflatable Head Support And/or Buoyancy Ring For Damage And Ensure That It Is Properly Attached.check Inflation Hose(s) For Deterioration.at Least Quarterly, The Head Support/buoyancy Ring Should Be Inflated And Tested For Leaks (this Test Does Not Apply To Integral Inflatable Lifejackets) Leaks Should Be Repaired In Accordance With Manufacturers’ Instructions By A Suitable Repair Station
5. Check Retro Reflective Tape For Condition And Adhesion. Replace If Necessary.
6. If Fitted, Check Whistle And Expiration Date Of Light And Battery.
7. Replace Suits In The Bag With Zippers Fully Opened
8. The Opportunity Should Be Taken At Such Monthly Inspections For The Crew To Practise Donning The Immersion Suits Or Anti-exposure Suits.
Authorisation given by Marinelookout Admin. All the post is prepared by the team of Marinelookout.
Seafarer wagesThe Minimum Wage For Able Seafarers Recommended By ....>> READ MORE
Alpha LubricatorQ. Give A Brief Description About Alpha Lubricator ....>> READ MORE
RefrigerationQ. What Do You Mean By Refrigeration And States It ....>> READ MORE
Air Bottles ....>> READ MORE
Bearings ....>> READ MORE
ME Change Overere Are The Change Over Questions And Answers Whic ....>> READ MORE
Exhaust AnalysisHere Are The Exhaust Gas Questions And Answers Whi ....>> READ MORE
World Maritime DayWorld Maritime Day Is An Official United Nations D ....>> READ MORE
Marine Insurance MarketTechnical Insurance Results For The 2014 Underwrit ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (Generator)What Is Load Sharing? ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (Batteries)What Are The Two Main Types Of Battery Commonly Us ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (Emergency Supply )Where On The Ship Is The Emergency Generator Locat ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (Electrical)What Minimum Current Can Be Regarded As Fatal? ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (safety)In The Occurrence Of An Oil Spill, What Do You Do? ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (LSA)Why Is A Hydrostatic Release Fitted To A Liferaft? ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (Fire Detection)What Is The Principle Operation Of A Flame Detecto ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals (FFA)How Does A Foam Nozzle Work? ....>> READ MORE
Things you should know before you join Merchant NavyHere Are The Few Things You Should Know Before You ....>> READ MORE
Things you should know before you judge a marinerHere Are The few Things You Should Know Before You ....>> READ MORE
Why you should be proud to be in Merchant Navy ?These Are The Reason Why You Should Be Proud To Be ....>> READ MORE
Piston RingsHere Are The Piston Rings Questions And Answers Wh ....>> READ MORE
Features & Testing Procedures of EPIRBEmergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) ....>> READ MORE
Things you should know before loading coalOverheating Of Coal Causes Major Fire On The Ship ....>> READ MORE
Maintenance and Training of LSA and FFA on ShipPoor Maintenance Of Life Saving Appliances (LSA) A ....>> READ MORE
SOLAS Requirements for Lifeboat launchingLaunching, Retrieving, Maintaining Of Lifeboats Is ....>> READ MORE
Safety System for Switch Board and GeneratorsApart From Direct Temperature Measurement Of The S ....>> READ MORE
Emergency Generator Solas requirements, starting and running ProceduresEmergency Generator Is A Source Of Electrical Powe ....>> READ MORE
Class of Fire and type of Extinguishers usedFire On Board Is A Very Critical Situation. Correc ....>> READ MORE
Procedures to use and maintain portable extinguishers on boardNormally Four Types Of Portable Extinguishers Are ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals MEP (Scavenging & Scavenge Fire)Question Answer On The Topic Scavenging And Scaven ....>> READ MORE
5 Point that can help you in getting placementsPoints To Be Followed In College To Excel In Place ....>> READ MORE
FAQ Orals MEP (Auxiliary Machinary)What Is The Primary Function Of The Expansion Valv ....>> READ MORE
Baltic Sea SafetiesBALTIC SEA AREA - A MARPOL 73/78 SPECIAL AREA. ....>> READ MORE
How to apply for DCE ?How To Apply For DCE(Document Of Endorsement) Leve ....>> READ MORE
Vessel break away from jettyVessel Break Away From Jetty Can Causes personal I ....>> READ MORE
Ballast Water ManagementBallast water Is Pumped In To Maintain Safe Operat ....>> READ MORE
Voyage Data RecorderThe Purpose Of The Voyage Data Recorder (VDR) Equi ....>> READ MORE
Shipping Manager Shot Dead In ParadeepThe General Manager Of Hyderabad-based Seaways Shi ....>> READ MORE
Cylinder Lubrication : Purpose, Properties and On-board testsQ. Why Cylinder Lubrication Is Required? ....>> READ MORE
240 migrants drowned off Libyan coast on WednesdayAt least 240 migrants have drowned off the coast o ....>> READ MORE
The International Safety Management (ISM) CodeThe ISM code sets an international standard for th ....>> READ MORE
Marinelookout is an intiative by seagoing Mariners to make life easy for the marine fraternity either at sea or at MMD. With Marinelookout we deals with several areas of maritime industry like - Day to day MMD oral Questions. Specific blogs inscribing the questions faced. Separate ePariksa section which prepares you for the written exams of MEO Class IV. Pre Sea Section is for the Cadets at College, which provides them the gateway to Sea. Its to help them understand the basic topics in a simplified manner. Marinelookout has a very dedicated team of young guns who are fired up to perform. We also have Chief Engineers and Masters who make us a complete organization.In the upcoming years we are going to create a marine knowledge hub over the internet. Its just a matter of time, be with us now and you can avail the fruits ever.